Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Catcher in the Rye

I just finished reading Catcher in the Rye yesterday, and boy, did it hit me the right place at the right time. Most teens reading it probably feels that, but it's a little more than that for me. I could go into more detail, but for now, I'll just tell you about the biggest bonding moment me and ol' Holden had. It was when he, in the end, talks about getting a cabin somewhere, a place where he can, in short, just Be. For a while, I've had those thoughts myself. I've actually dreamt of having a small woodhouse for a long time, but I was saving the dream for retirement. I've come to a point in my life though, where the directions are stopping. I'm finishing Danish high school, and though I have all these opportunities, I'm left with a feeling of emptiness, and fears of the words "effort" and "commitment". And frankly, all I wanna do is to be peaceful, just Be. Not worry about wasting my time (a fear I've had ever since my dad died four years ago), but instead live day by day - Not year by year. And I'll start fulfilling my dreams already now, however unlogical they might seem, because if you keep bottling up all your dreams, there wont be any room for new ones, and you'll either have to forget your old dreams or postpone them forever. So my loose plan is so far, that I'll get a cabin somewhere up in the Swedish woods. That's the first step. Maybe I'll get it while I'm still in high school and living at home, I got some dough in the bank you see, but then afterwards, I'll move up there, more or less permanently - At the least, It'll be what I call my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment